Det. Ozretic Declares CIBC OWNS My Personal Data Once I Open an Account
So, since they own the data they can do whatever they want with it.
CIBC obtains your consent before collecting, using or sharing personal information, except where otherwise permitted or required by law.https://www.cibc.com/en/privacy-security/privacy-policy/privacy-principles.html
CIBC Privacy Principles
CIBC respects the following principles when collecting, using or sharing your personal information:
- CIBC is responsible for personal information under its control.
- There are designated individuals within CIBC who are accountable for compliance with these privacy principles.
2. Identifying Purposes and Obtaining Consent
- CIBC informs individuals, at or before the time it is collected, the purposes for the collection, use and sharing of personal information.
- CIBC obtains your consent before collecting, using or sharing personal information, except where otherwise permitted or required by law.
3. Limiting the Collection, Use or Sharing of Your Personal Information
- CIBC limits the personal information it collects to what is necessary for the purposes it has identified. CIBC collects personal information only by fair and lawful means.
- CIBC does not use or share personal information for purposes other than those for which it was collected except with your consent or where permitted or required by law. CIBC retains personal information only as long as necessary for customer service, legal or reasonable business purposes.
4. Keeping Your Personal Information Accurate and Providing Access to Your Information
- CIBC takes care to keep personal information as accurate, complete and up-to-date as is necessary for the purposes for which it is to be used.
- Upon request, and subject to certain exceptions, CIBC will provide you with access to your personal information. You can ask how your personal information is to be used or shared so you can ensure your personal information is accurate and complete and can be updated if appropriate.
5. Protecting Your Personal Information
- CIBC protects the privacy of personal information through security measures appropriate to the sensitivity of the information.
6. Openness and Addressing Your Concerns
- CIBC makes available information about its policies and practices related to managing your personal information.
- CIBC has steps you can follow if you have questions or concerns about your privacy.
CIBC Digital Privacy Statement
Effective May 2018
In this Digital Privacy Statement:
“CIBC,” “we,” “our” and “us” means collectively Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce and its affiliates that offer deposits, loans, mutual funds, securities trading, portfolio management, investment counseling, mortgages, credit cards, trust services, insurance and other products or services.
“Digital” means CIBC Online Banking®, CIBC websites, CIBC mobile sites, CIBC mobile apps or our other electronic technologies.
“Personal information” or “information” means information about an identifiable individual such as name, email or user IDs.
“Site” means a website and mobile site.
What we collect and how we collect it
The type of personal information we collect will depend on various factors, including your digital activities with us. We may collect information in the following ways:
- Information you provide us, through your digital activities such as, mobile apps, applications for products or services, or information that you have inputted into our online tools or calculators. This may include information such as your name, email address, user IDs, passwords, service preference (e.g., language), age, gender, occupation and income range. If you communicate with us online or by email, mobile app or text message, we may collect information contained in that communication, such as your email address or mobile telephone number.
- Information that your web browser may provide us, such as the type of web browser you use (e.g., Internet Explorer, Chrome, Safari or Firefox) or the address of the site you came from.
- Information that your devices may provide us, such as device details (e.g., device ID, model, operating system or device notification status), privacy settings and other device configurations or settings, your geolocation, or your IP address (a number that is automatically assigned to your computer or device when you browse the Internet and from which the general geographical location of the device can be derived).
- Information obtained using web technologies, such as cookies and web beacons. Refer to the Web Technologies section below for further information.
How we use information
We may use information for the following purposes:
- Provide you with our digital products, services and support
- Communicate with you, including providing alerts that you have requested
- Personalize your user experience including offering you personalized marketing and offers
- Better understand your interest in other CIBC products and services
- Evaluate the effectiveness of our sites, communications, marketing, or offers and promotions
- Measure site and mobile app usage and improve functionality
- Enhance digital security including preventing and detecting security threats and criminal activities
CIBC may offer mobile applications or services that use location information. If you choose to use such applications or services, CIBC may, if your geolocation device settings allow us, collect information about your location to provide you with the applications or services you request.
We may also use location information to personalize your user experience including through site or mobile app content, marketing, or offers for products and services. For example, we may use general geographical location derived from your IP address (e.g., city) to customize CIBC site pages for you.
Some services may involve access to information on your device. For example, accessing your contact list can make it easier to use Interac e-Transfer® banking services, or accessing your photos and camera can make it easier to complete a remote cheque deposit on your mobile device. Some services may allow your device and your wearable to communicate with a CIBC app, such as for Apple Watch®.
Protecting your personal information
Protecting the security of your personal information and the financial transactions you conduct online is of utmost importance. We use multiple layers of protection when you access any of our digital products or services, such as digital banking, including:
- Web browser encryption: all browsers supported by CIBC digital services offer industry standard encryption. This provides a high level of protection for transmitting confidential data over the Internet.
- Firewalls: we have secure firewalls designed to prevent unauthorized access to our systems.
- Monitoring: we monitor activity on CIBC digital services to enhance security and to protect your personal information.